Cook the Perfect Steak… to slice for your Steak & Greek Salad
After bariatric surgery its not the Quantity but the Quality. I can easily eat high protein steak if it is lean and tender. We are fortunate to have a Fresh Market with wonderful specials for beef and chicken every week. The Hereford Beef Filet is a great value as there’s no fat grizzle or waste. I get one 8 to 10 ounce piece of meat for about ten dollars to slice and share. It is a perfect bariatric meal that my husband also loves!
1. Steaks should always be at room temperature before they are cooked. Remove your steaks from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before cooking. Pat them dry with a paper towel. I tie kitchen string around my filets so they cook evenly.
2. Preheat your oven to 375°F. On the stovetop, heat an ovenproof frying pan on high heat until it begins to smoke a bit.
3. Rub the steaks with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
4. When the pan is heated, lay the steaks carefully into the skillet. Crank the fan to high because this method creates smoke as the steak sears.
5. Sear for 2 minutes on each side for a nice brown crust. After the second side has seared, flip once more and put the pan directly into the oven to roast for 6 to 8 minutes for medium rare. If you have an instant read thermometer this is 130 degrees.
6. Transfer the steaks to a plate and let rest 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
While your steak is roasting in the oven, add to a big wooden salad bowl; diced cucumbers, grape tomatoes, shaved red onion, sea salt, black pepper, freshly grated lemon zest and toss with olive oil and red wine vinegar. Add cubes or crumbles of feta and dish it up on you serving plate with slices of steak.